The Commissariat 3D Reconstruction Project

Creator(s): Paul Amirault

The Rideau Canal starts at the Ottawa Locks and stretches to connect Kingston, Ontario, with Montreal, Quebec. Built to aid in the defense of Canada, the canal opened in 1832. Designed by the Royal Engineers under Lt. Colonel John By, the Rideau Canal took only six years to build. At the time, the canal was the largest engineering project in the British Empire. It was commissioned and championed by Lord Dalhousie, then Governor-in-Chief of Canada. This Virtual Museum exhibit shows a detailed 3D recreation of the Ottawa Locks and the Commissariat Building as they appeared in 1832 but does not include a recreation of historic Bytown.

Visit the Exhibit: