The History of the Independent Record Labels

Creator(s): Phonothèque québécoise

Montreal was the capital of the Canadian record industry until the Second World War. Up until 1960, the Quebec repertoire was downplayed by the multinationals, who preferred to impose adaptations of hits from the United States or France. After the "Révolution tranquille", Quebec's independent record labels produce 80% of the records in the province, leaving 20% to the multinationals. This exhibit illustrates the evolution of the record industry in Montreal.

Visit the Exhibit: