Creator(s): Musée Historique de Tracadie Inc.
When leprosy appeared in the northeastern region of New Brunswick at the beginning of the 19th century, the province of New Brunswick built a hospital on Sheldrake Island, near Chatham to prevent the spread of the disease. Between 1844 and 1949, everyone affected by leprosy was sent to this lazaretto. In 1849, the lazaretto was moved to Tracadie.
The Religious Hospitallers of Saint Joseph of Montreal arrived in Tracadie in 1868 to care for the lepers. When jurisdiction over the lazaretto was transferred from the province to the federal government in 1880, the sisters assumed responsibility for the administration of the entire hospital.