Creator(s): Port Moody Station Museum
Port Moody's port was very important for the development of the city. Named after Royal Engineer commander, Col Richard C. Moody, Port Moody provided an ice-free defensive harbour for the new capital of the Colony of British Columbia in 1859. It had little use as a port until being named the Western Terminus of the Canadian Pacific Railroad in 1879. A flurry of speculation and development resulted with the arrival of the First Train, November 8, 1885 and the First Scheduled Passenger Train, July 4, 1886.
Since that time, Port Moody has seen a number of different industries come through its harbour. It saw ships from the lumber industry in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, changing to tankers from the oil refining business up until the mid-20th century. Military vessels and tug boats have also been common features throughout the years. Through photos and stories, this Community Stories exhibit explores the ever-changing role of this British Columbia harbour town.