Creator(s): Newcastle Village and District Historical Society
During the 1920s, Austin Campbell, a Toronto lawyer who resided in the Village of Newcastle, Ontario began filming people, places and various things. In May, 1940, another Newcastle resident, Cecil Carveth purchased Campbell's Kodak Model B movie camera, his Keystone A-82 projector and obtained some of the old 16 mm films. Mr. Carveth was often seen carrying the camera and used it extensively in the area until his death in 1977. Mr. Carveth attended local schools, showing the films to students and also to various clubs and groups in the community.
There were 32 film reels and after Mr. Carveth died, the film collection was given to Jack Gordon, a Newcastle history buff and member of the Newcastle Village & District Historical Society (NVDHS). These films were sent to the National Film Board in Ottawa and were copied there. In 2008, Mr. Gordon donated the original films to the NVDHS. Over the next two years, several members transferred all of the films to digital.