After the British conquered New France, the Jesuit college was forced to close. In 1765, the Séminaire de Québec took over the responsibility for the general education of youth, in addition to its primary role of training priests.

In 1771, a program for the teaching of science appeared at the Séminaire de Québec. Following the Jesuit tradition, science was taught in a bookish manner. The lessons were dictated in Latin and the students copied the teacher’s notes. Included as part of the philosophy curriculum, science courses were given every two years.

The archives do however indicate some experimental activity at an astronomical observatory that was set up in 1770 on the roof of the Séminaire.
Canadian Heritage Information Network
Canadian Heritage Information Network, Canada Museum of Science and Technology, Musée de la civilisation, Stewart Museum, Canadian Medical Hall of Fame, Museum of Health Care at Kingston, University Health Network Artifact Collection, University of Toronto Museum of Scientific Instruments, University of Toronto Museum Studies Program, Suzanne Board, Dr. Randall C. Brooks, Sylvie Toupin, Ana-Laura Baz, Jean-François Gauvin, Betsy Little, Paola Poletto, Dr. James Low, David Kasserra, Kathryn Rumbold, David Pantalony, Dr. Thierry Ruddel, Kim Svendsen

© 2001, CHIN. All Rights Reserved.

Teachers' Centre Home Page | Find Learning Resources & Lesson Plans