St. James Cathedral

Saint-Jacques-le-Majeur Cathedral, now called Marie-Reine-du-Monde, about 1910. Built in successive stages starting in 1870, the new Catholic cathedral of the archdiocese symbolized eloquently the powerful "ultramontane" ties with the Vatican. The cathedral is, in fact, a reduced scale replica of St. Peter's Basilica in Rome.

Photo: Wm. Notman & Son
McCord Museum of Canadian History - Gift of Mr. Stanley G. Triggs
c. 1910
Ink on paper mounted on card - Halftone
20 x 15 cm
MP-0000.871.13
© McCord Museum


Teachers' Centre Home Page | Find Learning Resources & Lesson Plans