At the time of Fleming’s death in 1850, St. John’s was still coping with the ravages of the Fire of 1846 which had left most of the small town in the midst of poverty, homelessness, and despair. After his installation in 1850, Mullock was responsible for the completion of the Cathedral which would take another five years to consecrate. The ledger in Fleming’s right hand is meant to symbolize the architectural drawings of the uncompleted Cathedral, and the girl below represents the social programs and welfare of the town’s less-fortunate that Mullock was relied upon to maintain.
Archives of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of St. John's.
Roman Catholic Archdiocese of St. John's.

© Roman Catholic Archdiocese of St. John's 2006

Teachers' Centre Home Page | Find Learning Resources & Lesson Plans