St. Bonaventure's College and Bishop’s Library

Mullock certainly inherited Fleming’s sense of ambition. In 1856, he opened St. Bonaventure’s College and seminary which has been an active educational institution ever since. It was placed in the hands of the Christian Brothers in 1889 and later given to the Jesuits in 1999. St. Bon’s was constructed from granite building blocks from Waterford that had originally been intended for the construction of a Penitentiary. In 1989, it was designated as a Registered Heritage Structure.

Mullock also established the Bishop’s residence and library, located to the west of the Basilica. In 1921, the residence burned and was rebuilt. The library was founded in 1859 as a reading room for the college as well as for the public. Mullock himself was an avid reader and scholar who contributed some 2,500 books to the reading room. The library has recently been converted into a museum displaying artifacts and Mullock’s rare book collection containing publications dating back as early as 1524.
Archives of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of St. John's.
Roman Catholic Archdiocese of St. John's.

© Roman Catholic Archdiocese of St. John's 2006

Teachers' Centre Home Page | Find Learning Resources & Lesson Plans