Here is the Canadian Pacific Viger hotel and station in 1901. Flourishing and in a phase of rapid expansion, Canadian Pacific had just open this new station, which replaced the Dalhousie Station, which had been built on the same location. The new terminus shared with the Windsor Station the main metropolitan railway functions. Viger, however, played a secondary role compared to Windsor. It was a regional station that served the Laurentians and the north shore of the St. Lawrence as far as Quebec City. It was here that country people in search of urban adventures arrived in town. It was also from this station that missionaries, colonists and tourists left for Ste. Agathe, Labelle and Mount Laurier.

Located on the edge of Old Montreal and close to Viger Square, the hotel and station was at a strategic location, in the heart of the Montreal Francophone upper-class neighbourhood. This is no doubt why Canadian Pacific had this prestigious building built there, with its architecture recalling the châteaux of the Loire Valley. The hotel was famous for the elegance of its decor; it would accommodate business meetings and social gatherings.
Printed Documents
  • Gagnon-Pratte, France. 1993. Le Château Frontenac : Cent ans de vie de château. Quebec City : Continuité.
  • Kalman, Harold. 1994. « The Railway and the Opening of the West ». In A History of Canadian Architecture. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.
  • Laurin, Serge. 2000. Les Laurentides. Québec : Institut québécois de recherche sur la culture.
  • Roy, Alain. 2001. « Étude historique ». In Patri-Arch : Étude d'ensemble du sous-secteur de l'Ancien Chantier, t. 1. Quebec City: Ville de Québec, Service de développement économique et urbain

By Joanne Burgess and Gilles Lauzon
McCord Museum of Canadian History

© 2002, McCord Museum of Canadian History. All Rights Reserved.

Teachers' Centre Home Page | Find Learning Resources & Lesson Plans