Nadezhda Andreyevna Udaltsova

Born in Orel in 1886. Died in Moscow in 1961. Udaltsova studied at private studios in Moscow, and also under Le Fauconnier, Metzinger and Dunoyer de Segonzac in Paris. She worked in the studio of V.Ye. Tatlin. Having experienced the influence of Cubism, Udaltsova joined the “Supremus” group of Malevich followers in 1916. During the first years after the revolution, the artist actively participated in the artistic life of Moscow, taught at Free Art Shops and the Higher State Art and Craft Shops, and was a member of the Institute of Art Culture (Inkhuk). She soon left the Institute to protest the rejection of easel art in favor of industrial art. In the 1920s, Udaltsova reverted to the renewed figurative art under the influence of her husband and associate A.D. Drevin. As opposed to ideas of avant-garde expansion, Udaltsova (who belonged to “The Thirteen” group) was primarily motivated by an individual’s outlook on the world, the importance of personal perception, and the intensive “absorption” of the outer world, “condensed” in a painting. In 1929–1933, Udaltsova traveled to Altai territory with her husband A.D. Drevin, and in 1933–1935 worked in Armenia. After Drevin’s arrest in 1938 and until her last days, Udaltsova painted mainly still life.

Works
Landscape With Figures, Armenia - 1933, oil on canvas. State Tretyakov Gallery, Moscow
Canadian Heritage Information Network

© 2003, CHIN. All Rights Reserved.

Teachers' Centre Home Page | Find Learning Resources & Lesson Plans