The Farmers' Bank of Rustico
Skip to content

Acadians on PEI

 

Period     1720-1758

St. Peters (Havre-Saint-Pierre)

Havre-Saint-Pierre - early period (1720-1758)

Original Acadian Settlements Havre-Saint-Pierre (present-day St. Peter's) was one of the eight original Acadian settlements included in the census of 1735. The seven other settlements were Havre-aux-Sauvages (present-day Savage Harbour), Port-la-Joye, Trois-Rivières (present-day Brudenell Point), Rivière-du-Nord-Est (present-day Hillsborough River), Tracadie, Malpeque and Pointe-de-l'Est (present-day East Point). The 1735 census noted that among the 432 colonists on Île-Saint-Jean, 162 (32%) were Acadian Havre-Saint-Pierre was named after the Compte de Saint-Pierre, an entrepreneur from Normandy and founder of the Compagnie de l'Isle de Saint-Jean. The Compte de Saint-Pierre was charged with organizing and encouraging settlement of Île-Saint-Jean which had become more important after the French lost other parts of the colony of Acadia to the British following the Treaty of Utrecht in 1713.

Fishing

Fishing and farming were the two dominant industries on Île-Saint-Jean throughout its time as a French colony. The French saw Île-Saint-Jean as the "granary of Louisburg" and, therefore, did not support the fishing industry. Settlers still took advantage of the abundant cod stocks in the Island's waters. The Compagnie de l'Isle de Saint-Jean, indebted and lacking support from the French authorities, ceased activities in 1724 after only five years of operation. In spite of this, Havre-Saint-Pierre became the most populated settlement on Île-Saint-Jean during this period, and the primary fishing centre.

 Previous page
copyright Copyright