- Early Years
- Then to Now
By the late nineteenth century, the Basilica-Cathedral in St. John's was one of the largest repositories of Irish and European neoclassical and naturalistic sacred art, statuary and craftsmanship in the Western Hemisphere.
Although the Basilica-Cathedral was formally consecrated by Bishop John Thomas Mullock in 1855, there have been several large supplementary projects undertaken in the years since. The gradual completion of the Cathedral has progressed steadily over the years amidst celebrations of various milestones in the history of Irish Catholics in Newfoundland including the Basilica centenary celebrations in 1955, the arrival of Pope John Paul II in 1984, and the 150th anniversary of the Roman Catholic Cathedral in Newfoundland, celebrated just this past summer.