Millet School Students
21 September 1922
Millet School, Millet, Alberta, Canada
The first Millet School in September of 1922, on the east side of the tracks. Ernest Anderson, Principal; Pearl Watt, Intermediate Teacher; and Stella Stiles, Primary Teacher.
Millet Baseball Team, 1924
Millet, Alberta, Canada
Millet's Baseball Team, 1924.
Left to right: Fred Dous, Dudley Menzies (Principal of Millet School), Harry Moffet, Phil Fraser, John A. Smith, Herb Pogue, Tom Goin, Harry Stuart.
Seated on ground: Clarence Moen, Martin Moen, Fred Moebes.
Vic's Garage, 1922 to 1927
50th (Main) Street, Millet, Alberta, Canada
Vic's Garage, pictured here around 1925, was owned by Vic Nordquist who started it up in 1922 on the east side of 50th Street, now Main Street. To the left is the Mitchell block. These buildings were destroyed by fire in October 1927. Left to right, ?, Herman Warnke, ?, ?, ?, ?, A.P. Mitchell in the doorway at the far right.
R.A. Elder's Livery Barn
N.W. Corner of Intersection of 49th and Main (Block II Lot 1), Millet, Alberta, Canada
The Millet Livery Barn was built by Robert A. Elder in 1910. It was situated on the northwest corner of the intersection of 49th Avenue and 50th Street (Main Street), Block 2, Lot 1. There were living quarters above the barn. Robert Elder's son, Staunton, was born there, as was Tom Elder's son, Warren, in 1915. Farmers, and travellers going through Millet, many times would leave their horses in the livery barn if they were going to be in the village for any length of time. The owner of the barn would water and feed the horses for them and keep them until their owners were ready to go home or move on. Tom Elder later bought the barn and for some time Albert Hougestol was in business with him. Tom Elder sold the barn in 1917. Then Alex Martin owned it for some years until his death in 1925. At that time, it was purchased by Gust and Ida Just who owned it until 1941 when it was sold and torn down.
Vic Nordquist Repairing a Car
Rural Farm, Millet, Alberta, Canada
Vic Nordquist would repair cars at farmers' places if the need arose. He is doing just that here. Vic is on the far right. Names of the other two men are not known. Ca 1923.
Looking East on Alberta Street
50th Avenue (Alberta Street), Millet, Alberta, Canada
Looking east on Alberta Street (51st Avenue), 1925.
On the left side of the street are seen the telephone office house, the hotel, and the bank. Part of the post office built by Jack West can be seen across Main Street.
On the right side are Jack West's home, his store the Millet Mercantile Co. (rebuilt after the fire of 1921), the Karr Bros. Store in the Van Meter building (the first store was built at the back part of the lot. It was then extended to Railway Street (50th) in 1903). Part of the Mitchell block is visible across Main Street.
Ladies' Curling Rink
Curling Rink west of Community Hall, Millet, Alberta, Canada
Ladies Curling in 1926 in Millet's first Curling Rink that was situated just west of today's Community Hall (2004) on 50th Avenue. Left to Right, Standing: Mrs. Dinney, Mrs. English, Mrs. Barth, Mrs. Dan Inglis. In front: Madge Plant (later Madge Morrow).